Note to Customers: For the duration of the COVID-19 emergency, the Utilities Department will not pick up any bagged trash, including bagged grass and/or landscape clippings set out alongside trash carts, or on big trash days. Your regular trash, recycling and big trash pick-up service will continue without disruption.
Click here to see what you can set out for your bulky waste day.
Learn more about our COVID-19 response here.
Big Blue Trash ServiceThe City offers weekly trash pick-up to eligible residential customers. Residents can put all non-recyclable household trash in their Big Blue rolling carts.
- The Big Blue is for general household trash such as food waste, grass clippings and non-recyclable plastics or paper trash.
- Please bag all waste, including grass and landscape trimmings.
- Place your Big Blue cart with lid closed at the curbside (not in the street) before 6 a.m. on your assigned pick-up day.
- Make sure your cart lid is closed so we can minimize the risk of trash spilling into neighborhoods.
- Place carts at least 5 feet away from obstacles, including mailboxes, trees and shrubs, fire hydrants or parked cars. Leave 3 feet of space between carts when setting out more than one.
- Do not park in the street where trucks cannot access your trash carts or bulky items.
- Do not use your Big Blue for:
- construction trash, including drywall, bricks, siding or fencing
- rocks or dirt
- medical waste
- tires (the City does not accept tires in any of its Solid Waste programs) or automobile parts
- hazardous waste including paints, primers, poisons, acids, compressed gas or similar products. Take those to the City's Household Hazardous Waste facility.
Our Big Green recycling program for eligible households offers the convenience of recycling right from the curbside. Visit www.okc.gov/mytrashday to see if your area qualifies and to find your collection schedule.
- Your Big Green recycling cart is to be used for recyclable materials only. DO NOT use it for regular household trash, tires, yard waste or hazardous household waste.
- We accept general household and office paper, kitchen and bathroom plastic tubs and bins (empty and clean), glass bottles and jars (empty and clean), aluminum, cardboard and paper board. See our What to Recycle page for more details.
- Set your recycling container at the curbside no later than 6 a.m. on your assigned pick-up day.
- Make sure your cart lid is closed so crews do not risk spilling trash when they pick it up
- Place carts at least 5 feet away from obstacles, including mailboxes, trees and shrubs, fire hydrants or parked cars, and leave 3 feet of space between carts.
- DO NOT put recycling in plastic bags. Paper sacks are great and help keep recyclable materials contained.
Customers in Eastern Oklahoma City can take advantage of our 24/7 drop-off recycling centers. They are located at:
- 9124 SE 74th
- 11028 NE 63rd
Customers who use the drop-off centers must follow the same "Recycle Right" guidelines as our curbside program. Do not use plastic bags to put your recyclable materials inside the dumpsters.
Our once-monthly bulky waste program is perfect for items that are too large for your trash or recycling carts. Items we accept in bulky pick-up include carpets, furniture, fencing, appliances,* general landscape waste and other specialized items.
Make sure all bulk waste is placed on the curbside no later than 6 a.m. on your scheduled monthly pick-up day. Crews make take up to three (3) days to get to the bulk waste, but any and all waste must be put on out the assigned day in order in order for it to be picked up.
*See Bulky Waste page for special instructions on items containing Freon and other coolants.
General Set-Out Guidelines
How should I place my items out to be picked up?
- Place Big Blue, Big Green or any bulky items on the curbside facing the street. DO NOT place your carts or bulky trash IN the street or on the sidewalk. (The corner of your driveway is acceptable).
- Bulky items should be placed out loose in a pile. DO NOT put your bulky items in carts, even landscape waste.
- Place carts or bulky items at least 5 feet away from obstacles, including the mailbox, trees and shrubs, fire hydrants or parked cars.
- Do not park in the street where trucks cannot access your trash or bulky items.
Need another Big Blue?
Call our Customer Contact Center at (405) 297-2833 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to order a second Big Blue. There’s no charge for a second cart, but you will be charged for three or more carts.
Holiday Make-Up Days
From time to time, a designated City holiday may fall on your trash collection day. If that is the case, we will pick up your trash on the regularly-scheduled make-up day. See our Holiday Pick-Up Schedule for a list of alternative pick-up dates.