The Development Center provides for the effective implementation and maintenance of ordinances and policies related to land use codes and building regulations.
The division is responsible for providing the following services:
I am getting a new roof do I need a permit?
Replacing roofing material does not require a permit, however if any structural roofing members are being replaced it will require a building permit. Before letting anyone on your roof, ask to see a State of Oklahoma Roofers license.
Can I build a shed in my backyard?
Yes, there may be some restrictions and a permit may or may not be required. Please contact Oklahoma City Plan Review at 405-297-2525. If a permit is required it must be issued prior to any structure being built or moved on site.
Can I buy an electrical, plumbing, or heat and air permit?
Electrical, plumbing, mechanical, sign, driveway and fire suppression system permits, can only be issued to contractors licensed in the State of Oklahoma and registered with the City of Oklahoma City.
Can I do electrical, plumbing, or heat and air work myself?
All electrical, plumbing, and mechanical work must be done by contractors licensed in the State of Oklahoma and registered with the City of Oklahoma City. A permit must be issued prior to starting any work.
Can I replace my water heater?
A plumbing permit is required for this work. Plumbing permits can only be issued to contractors licensed in the State of Oklahoma and registered with the City of Oklahoma City.
How do I search for permits and inspections by address?
How do I request an inspection?
You may request an inspection on a current permit online or through the City’s Interactive Voice Response system at 405-316-5656.
How do I get a Permit for a storm shelter?
In Oklahoma City a building permit is required to install an above or below ground storm shelter.
- In-Ground or Slope-Top Shelter - $53.50
- Above Ground Safe Room - $70.50
How to get a storm shelter permit
The following information is needed to get a permit.
**Contact your contractor for these documents.
- Completed building permit application (PDF)
- Engineered Specifications per FEMA 320/ICC 500**
- Letter regarding Floatation (for in-ground and slope-top shelters only)**
- Floor Plan (for in-garage or in-house shelters only)
- Visit the Oklahoma County Assessor's website for floor plans
- Site Plan (for outside shelters)
Bring required documents to our office.
- Submit in person Monday – Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. at 420 W. Main St., 8th Floor. Your request will be reviewed while you wait.
- You can also send your permit request by fax to (405) 297-2178. We will contact you for payment by credit card.
Once you have paid for your permit and the shelter has been installed and inspected, you may register it with the City online or by calling the Action Center at (405) 297-2535. You may also request that your shelter be automatically registered on the building permit application in the remarks section of the form.
If you have questions or need assistance call 297-2525.
Do I need a permit?
Permits are required when you construct, alter, repair, enlarge, move or demolish any primary or accessory structure. Contact Development Center Plan Review staff at 297-2525 for additional information.
The State of Oklahoma does not require a license for general contractors.
However; Electrical, plumbing, mechanical, sign, driveway and fire suppression system permits, can only be issued to contractors licensed in the State of Oklahoma and registered with the City of Oklahoma City.
What are Oklahoma City’s current adopted building codes?
Oklahoma City current adopted building codes:
- International Building Code, 2009
- National Electrical Code, 2008
- International Plumbing Code, 2009
- International Mechanical Code, 2009
- International Energy Conservation Code, 2009
- International Fire Code, 2009