STATE OF EMERGENCY: Visit for updates and details on the COVID-19 (new coronavirus) emergency proclamation.

Ways to submit questions or concerns

Contact the Action Center to ask questions or report non-emergency code violations, such as high weeds, abandoned vehicles or other neighborhood problems. For a police or public safety emergency, dial 9-1-1. For a water or sewer emergency, dial (405) 297-3334.


Create an account and submit issues through our web portal. Sign up with an email address or by using your Facebook account. 

OKC Connect mobile app (Android/Apple Devices)

The OKC Connect app lets residents submit service requests through their smartphone, get information about City services and stay connected with updates. Download Android | Apple iOS


Email us at  


Call the Action Center at (405) 297-2535 Monday through Friday between 8:30–11:45 a.m. and 1–4:30 p.m.


Text your questions or concerns to (405) 252-1053. Please note, this number is only for text messages. Be sure to include the address or closest intersection and a detailed description of the issue. Feel free to include photos. Text messages are monitored Monday-Friday, 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Don't text and drive and standard carrier rates and fees apply.

Social Media

Twitter: @okcaction
Our social media account is monitored Monday - Friday, 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.  For a police or public safety emergency, dial 9-1-1. For a water or sewer emergency, dial (405) 297-3334.

We appreciate your request and thank you for being our "eyes and ears" in Oklahoma City.

All concerns will be investigated. Depending on the type of violation, the City gives property owners time to resolve most violations; therefore you may not always see immediate results.