How long before I can re-apply for a driver's permit if I am denied?
What are grounds for denial of a driver's permit?
- If the applicant is under 18 years old.
- Any felony, or any misdemeanor conviction within the last seven years which reasonably indicates a risk to the public such as:
- Any violent offense
- Any sex offense
- Any drug- or alcohol-related offense
- Cruelty to animals
- Felony theft or burglary of any type
- Hit-and-run driving conviction
- Reckless driving convictions within the past five years
- Not possessing a state driver's license, unless specifically exempted.
- Omitting any information from the permit application.
- Failing to provide a Driver Medical Certification.
- Inability to communicate effectively in the English language.
- Failing to produce an endorsement letter from a licensee.
What are the age requirements for a driver's permit?
Drivers must be at least 18 years old.
Do I have to have a physical exam every year?
Physical certifications are valid for five years.
How long is my driver's permit valid?
Permits must be renewed annually.
What documents do I need to be a driver?
- Proof of commercial automobile liability insurance provided by the vehicle for hire company applies to the driver once the requisite driver's permit has been obtained.
- Application signed by an authorized agent of the vehicle for hire company
- A three-year driver's record from all states in which the applicant has resided within 30 days of submitting application. Information on how to obtain a driver's record in Oklahoma can be found here.
- Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation (OSBI) criminal background record check to include sex offender registry, violent offender registry and criminal background within 30 days of submitting an application.
- Driver Medical Certification authorized by a physician licensed within Oklahoma within 30 days of submitting an application.
- Oklahoma driver's license and a second form of identification:
- Work visa
- Social Security card
- Handgun license issued by a state agency
- Fishing/hunting license issued by a state agency
- Health insurance card
- Current student ID
- State certified birth certificate
- U.S. military ID
- Veteran's ID or government-issued photo ID card
Do I need to make a police report of my vehicle (motorized or non-motorized) is involved in a collision?
The Police Department Permits & ID/Vehicles for Hire Unit must be notified within one business day of the collision regardless of your choice to make a collision report.
Can my Department of Transportation medical exam be substituted for the City's Driver Medical Certification?
Can drivers accept an immediate passenger fare or "street hail" as a driver of an executive car, limousine or shuttle?
No, with one exception. Only taxicab drivers are permitted to accept immediate fares, except for shuttles picking up immediate fares at Will Rogers World Airport only. Passenger arrangements for executive cars, limousines and shuttles (except for the Will Rogers World Airport exception) must use pre-arranged schedules.
Can taxicab drivers use a smartphone taximeter application?
A taximeter may not be an Internet-based application.
Can I drive for any company once my driver's permit is approved?
No. A separate driver's permit is required for each vehicle for hire in which a driver is employed.
I was arrested but never convicted of a felony/misdemeanor. Can I get a driver's permit?
Driver permit applications are approved or denied based on convictions. Felony convictions, and misdemeanor convictions within seven years of submitting a driver's permit application, are grounds for denial.
Is an ASE mechanic the same as an ASE Master Technician?
No. Master Technicians have been certified in a minimum of eight of of the nine National Institute for Automotive Service Excellence categories.
Can I use any ASE Master Technician to inspect my motor vehicle?
You may use the ASE Master Technician of your choice. The City does not maintain a list.
Can I operate at Will Rogers World Airport as a licensed business or permitted driver?
Along with the City's required licenses and permits, all owners/operators of vehicles for hire must have a Ground Service Agreement with the Oklahoma City Airport Trust to conduct any commercial activity from from Will Rogers World Airport. Drivers must have an Airport Drivers Permit while providing services at the airport. Find Will Rogers World Airport contact information here.
Can I use my motor vehicle for any motor vehicle for hire business?
No person shall provide motor vehicle for hire services with a vehicle that is owned, leased or insured by another motor vehicle for hire business.
What is a carriage?
Any animal-powered or human-powered vehicle, including horse-drawn, pedicabs and bicycle carriages.
Can I park a transportation network vehicle at a taxi stand?
How long is my business license/certificate of public necessity and convenience valid?
Business licenses (for non-motorized vehicles) expire May 30 of each year. Certificates of public necessity and convenience (for motorized vehicles) expire June 30 of each year.
What is a certificate of public necessity and convenience?
Where are vehicle (motorized and non-motorized) inspections conducted?
The Oklahoma City Police Permits & IDs/Vehicles for Hire Unit, unless otherwise directed. Appointments are suggested for timely inspections.
What documents do I need for a motor vehicle inspection?
How many vehicles do I need to operate a taxi service?
A minimum of five vehicles.
Do I have to submit my business license application in person?
Where do I apply for a Vehicle for Hire Business License (Certificate of Public Convenience and Necessity)?
What is a motor vehicle for hire?
An automobile, bus, truck, van, limousine or any other motor vehicle with a seating capacity of 15 or fewer that is used to transport customers for any form of compensation, including money, property, service, tips or anything else of value.