The Parks & Recreation Department offers lifeguard training courses throughout the year using certification methods and standards through the Starfish Aquatics Institute. Students learn:
- First Aid
- Professional Lifeguarding
Age RequirementsTo enroll, candidates must be 16 years old before the final scheduled date of their class session. Candidates who are 15 years old will be considered on a case by case basis. All persons must be at least 16 years old to work for the City of Oklahoma City.
- Swim 400 yards continuously, using either freestyle or breaststroke. This element may not be completed using backstroke.
- Swim 100 yards with a lifeguard tube with their head above water.
- Complete a 20-yard sprint in 20 seconds or less.
- Tread water for 1 minute using legs only.
- Retrieve a 10-pound brick from the bottom of the pool (9 feet deep).
$235 per person, per session. Cost includes class materials.
A $200 discount will be offered to individuals who are hired as lifeguards by the City of Oklahoma City for the summer seasons and meet specific training and employment requirements. Click here for available positions.
The City of Oklahoma City is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Youth swimming lessons are available at all Oklahoma City pools for beginner, intermediate and advanced swimmers. Cost is $35 per student for an 8-lesson session. Visit our Aquatics Calendar for available sessions.
Private swimming lessons for all ages groups are available at all pools and family aquatic centers. Lessons are available based upon staff availability during swim lesson hours. Private lessons are $20 per each half hour session. Inquire at individual pool for lesson availability.
Boys and girls ages 6 to 18 can join one of our recreational swim teams and compete against other swimmers in the Oklahoma City metro area.
- Participants must be able to swim 25 yards freestyle and backstroke.
- Meets take place on Saturday Mornings at various pools around the OKC Metro. Typically from 7:30 a.m. to 11:00 a.m.
- Practices take place from 8:00 a.m. to 9:00 a.m., Monday-Thursday during the season.
Cost: $40 per swimmer, per season.