How Do I Plead Not Guilty?
To plead not guilty, you must post a bond before your arraignment date to have a trial.
· The cost to post a bond includes the amount of the ticket plus a $35 bond fee. Please contact Municipal Court to discuss the options available if you don’t have the ability to post a cash bond.
· Please read our Traffic and Criminal Trial Information brochure to assist you with preparing for your case.
What if I failed to appear in court?
· The cost of your original ticket may increase. Also, there will be a separate charge of failure to appear in court, which will result in additional fines and costs.
· A warrant may be issued and your driver’s license could be suspended. If you have a valid medical excuse or documentation of being incarcerated, bring documentation to court.
· If you do not live in Oklahoma, call 405-297-2361 to find out your options for this to be resolved. If you are arrested, you may be required to post a bond to be released from jail.
How do I find out if my driver’s license is suspended?
Contact the Oklahoma Department of Public Safety at 405-425-2098 to find out if your driver’s license is suspended. Also, they can provide the fee amount that must be paid to get your driver’s license reinstated.
What if my equipment is now in compliance after receiving the ticket?
Provide proof in person on/or before your arraignment date to receive a $30 reduction.
What if my tag is now in compliance after receiving the ticket?
Provide proof in person with your payment to receive a $30 reduction.
What if I had insurance at the time the Failure to Provide Proof of Insurance ticket was issued?
· Provide proof to the Municipal Court within 48 hours of receiving the ticket to have the ticket dismissed without any cost.
· If you provide proof after 48 hours and before your arraignment date, you will be required to pay $88 court cost.
· If you obtained insurance after receiving the ticket, you may provide proof in person before your arraignment date to receive a reduction.
What if I do not comply with the requirements of driving school?
If the Court does not receive your completion certification, the Prosecutor usually will file an Application to Accelerate Sentencing and a hearing will be scheduled.
You can pay your traffic fine before the continued sentencing date and you will receive a conviction on the charge.
What should I do after completing driving school?
You should notify the Oklahoma City Municipal Court three days after completing driving school to make sure we received your certificate of completion.
How do I sign up for driving school?
· You do not have to make a court appearance to request driving school.
· You must contact the Oklahoma City Municipal Court by phone or in person to sign up for driving school before your arraignment date.
· You will be required to pay upfront administrative costs of $127-$138 (depending on the citation issued) when you sign up and complete the Driver Improvement Continued Sentencing Agreement. You will be given a list of approved driving schools.
· You must select a driving school from the approved driving school list and pay the registration fee directly to the school.
What are the eligibility requirements to attend driving school?
You may be eligible if you have not completed driving school for the Oklahoma City Municipal Court in the past three years. Contact Municipal Court to confirm your eligibility.
What is the Driving School?
Completing a court approved Driving School is an option to have your traffic ticket dismissed for a moving violation. The ticket will be dismissed if all requirements are met.
Can I take driving school if I have a Commercial Driver’s License (CDL)?
If you have a Commercial Driver License (CDL), you are not eligible for driving school, even if you were driving your own personal vehicle at the time you received the traffic ticket. Please contact the Department of Public Safety (405) 425-2820 to discuss options available.