Storm Shelter Permit
In Oklahoma City a building permit is required to install an above or below ground storm shelter.
- In-Ground or Slope-Top Shelter - $53.50
- Above Ground Safe Room - $70.50
How to get a storm shelter permit
The following information is needed to get a permit.
**Contact your contractor for these documents.
- Completed building permit application (PDF)
- Engineered Specifications per FEMA 320/ICC 500**
- Letter regarding Floatation (for in-ground and slope-top shelters only)**
- Floor Plan (for in-garage or in-house shelters only)
- Visit the Oklahoma County Assessor's website for floor plans
- Site Plan (for outside shelters)
Bring required documents to our office.
- Submit in person Monday – Friday, 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. at 420 W Main St., 8th Floor. Your request will be reviewed while you wait.
- You can also send your permit request by fax to (405) 297-2178. We will contact you for payment by credit card.
Once you have paid for your permit and the shelter has been installed and inspected, you may register it with the City online or by calling the Action Center at (405) 297-2535. You may also request that your shelter be automatically registered on the building permit application in the remarks section of the form.
If you have questions or need assistance call (405) 297-2525.