The City of Oklahoma City Office of Emergency Management (OKC OEM) is responsible for the City’s comprehensive emergency management program across all phases and mission areas: Preparedness, Prevention, Protection, Mitigation, Response, and Recovery.
Preparing OKC for Emergencies
- Contingency Planning: Oversees planning efforts for natural and man-made hazards. OKC OEM maintains many plans including the City’s Emergency Operations Plan (EOP) and its FEMA approved Hazard Mitigation Plan.
- Public-Private Initiatives: OKC OEM works with private business and non-profit, non-government and faith based organizations to develop capabilities to accomplish preparedness, response, and recovery activities.
- Training and Exercises: OKC OEM conducts citywide preparedness exercises to test plans and response techniques and to identify areas for improvement.
Coordinating Emergency Response and Recovery
- Hazard & Threat Monitoring: OKC OEM monitors threats and hazards likely to affect the City of Oklahoma City.
- Field Response: OKC OEM responds to larger incidents to facilitate inter-agency communication, coordination and resource requests, and to ensure proper implementation of the City’s Emergency Operations Plan and the Incident Command System (ICS).
- Oklahoma City Multi-Agency Coordination Center (MACC): During major emergencies and disasters, the MACC is a central point for information coordination, resource requests, decision making
- Recovery and Relief: Following an emergency, OKC OEM works with government agencies and non-profit organizations to provide disaster assistance and relief.
Public Education and Outreach
During normal operations, OKC OEM conducts various public education and outreach programs to support community resilience and enhance disaster preparedness and hazard awareness throughout OKC.
During an emergency, OKC OEM works with the City of OKC's Public Information & Marketing Office and the various City department public information officers to provide unified, accurate and timely messages to the public.
Prevention and Protection
OKC OEM supports the Prevention and Protection mission areas by:
- Coordinating and promoting the City’s If You See Something, Say Something program.
- Promoting critical infrastructure protection and hardening.
- Conducting threat and risk site assessments.
OKC OEM coordinates the City’s efforts to reduce the impacts of natural and man-made hazards on the City and its residents by:
- Maintaining the City’s FEMA approved Hazard Mitigation Plan.
- Coordinating the hazard mitigation grant application process.
- Administering hazard mitigation grant funded programs.
OKC Emergency Operations Plan