These steps will eliminate bacteria and disinfect drains and garbage disposals:
1. Run cold water about 15 seconds into the drain. Then turn the water off.
2. Pour one to two cups of chlorine bleach down the drain. Pour bleach slowly around the edges of the drain so that it runs down the sides of the drain. Caution: Bleach may cause eye damage, skin irritation and damage to clothing.
3. If the odor is coming from a sink with a garbage disposal, turn the disposal on for a few seconds while the bleach is being poured. This will disperse the bleach around the inside of the disposal. Caution: Avoid splashing when the disposal is turned on.
4. Leave bleach in the drain for about ten minutes. Caution: Prolonged contact with metals may cause pitting or discoloration.
5. Flush with hot water for about 2 minutes. If you have a garbage disposal, turn it on while flushing to ensure it is completely flushed.