Show/Hide

COVID-19 (new coronavirus): The City of Oklahoma City is coordinating with the Oklahoma City-County Health Department (OCCHD), the local public health authority, on the developing COVID-19 pandemic. For information, updates and resources about COVID-19 visit covid19.okc.gov.  ***"Shelter in Place Order" Issued***  

H. C. Schilling Park

Print
Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Henry Charles Schilling left his home in Ohio in 1873. The 15-year-old cowboy joined the cattle drives moving herds from Texas, across the Indian Territory, to Kansas City. Years later he caught the land fever and made the Land Run of 1889, settling in Guthrie where he was one of the founders of the town. Schilling also took part in the Land Run of 1891 and the Cherokee Outlet Run in 1893 but finally settled down and bought a farm in south Oklahoma City. His farm was adjacent to the town of Capitol Hill when it was a separate town from Oklahoma City, so he converted his land to Schilling’s Addition (referred to as East Capitol Hill) and sold housing lots. Schilling was active in local politics and was even elected mayor of Capitol Hill in 1907.

Schilling’s farm was just to the west of this park across Byers Avenue. It was named H. C. Schilling Park by the city council in 1966.