Burton Britton Park has its origins in the small railroad town of Britton, Oklahoma which was settled during the land run in 1889. The name is derived from Washington, DC railroad attorney Alexander Britton, though he never lived in the town. Originally Burton Park and Britton Park were two public parks in Britton separated by the diagonal Interurban tracks. These two small triangles were created by the Roy W. Burton Land & Mortgage Company during the development of the Britton Park Addition in 1908. When Oklahoma City and Britton merged in 1950 the two parks became Oklahoma City parks. The traditional triangle shape of Burton Park is still evident even though the combined park is much larger now.