Ted Reynolds grew up in Norman, Oklahoma and played college baseball until being called to serve in the Army during the Korean War. Returning home, he started a small business and became involved in sponsoring youth sports and coaching an American Legion Baseball team comprised of players from the south side of Oklahoma City. Reynolds coached Legion teams for over twenty years, influencing the lives of hundreds of kids by teaching them as much about life as he did about baseball.
This park was originally named Municipal Park and was constructed in 1954 as the main baseball park for several area baseball programs like Legion, YMCA and others. It replaced what was informally called Sandlot Park which was located on the other side of the State Fairgrounds near NW 10 and Independence. Municipal Park was renamed Ted Reynolds Park by the city council in 1986.