Prominent in civic, educational and musical circles and in the social life of Oklahoma City and the State, Mrs. Clara M. (Henderson) Girvin is one of the foremost women in Oklahoma in matters having to do with cultural refinement and public service of a high order.
Clara May Girvin was tirelessly energetic when it came to civic affairs but never more so than her service on the park board of Oklahoma City. She had a particular interest in beautification and was the founder of the Blue Flower Garden Club. In 1918 she became the first woman ever appointed to the Park Board and served in that post for 31 years. Mrs. Girvin is also known for two other distinctions among members of the park board: in addition to this park she also has a stone bridge named for her on the Oklahoma City Zoo grounds; and, because her husband Charles was British, she was also a British citizen, and she is the only known citizen of the United Kingdom to serve on the park board.