After working for newspapers in several small Oklahoma towns for twenty years E. M. Sellers purchased the Capitol Hill News (changed to Capitol Hill Beacon) in 1945 and moved to Oklahoma City’s south side with his wife Maxine and son David. Capitol Hill and the Sellers were fast friends. E. M. knew the importance a newspaper has for a small town and he was a master at preserving the small town feel of Capitol Hill while constantly promoting industry and development for the south side. Whether as a member of the Capitol Hill Chamber of Commerce, the Library Board or the Lion’s Club, boosting “The Hill” was a point of pride for E. M. Sellers.
If E. M. Sellers was not the greatest salesman for the south side, it would have to be his son, David. David learned the news business by his father’s side and continued the family business until 2014. Sellers and the Beacon were first in the hearts of Hillers for over 60 years. Like his father, David was keeper of the community’s stories and continuously promoted the south side throughout his career.
This park was named E. M. Sellers Park in memory of Eugene McElroy Sellers by the city council in 1973 but could well have been named for the Sellers family, father and son.