Edmund B. Jeffrey came to Oklahoma City in 1915 as superintendent (later regional director) of the Southwestern Bell Telephone Company office here. In that role he oversaw the planning and implementation of the city’s telephone system as it grew from a small town to a large city. Jeffrey was active in civic groups and charities and after retiring from Southwestern Bell, he was appointed chairman of the Oklahoma City Parks Board. With Jeffrey at the helm from 1954 to 1964, the city parks system experienced a period of modernization and expansion, including development of the Lincoln Park golf course, reconstruction of Wiley Post Park, the Will Rogers Park Garden Center, and the addition of several swimming pools at parks around the city.
The land for E. B. Jeffrey Park was donated to the city in 1930 by real estate man General Grant Corbin during the development of the Corbin Park addition. It was named for Parks Board chairman E. B. Jeffrey in 1965.