Zach D. Taylor Park began its life under a slightly similar name. An elementary school named for President Zachary Taylor was built in 1950 at 633 NW 52 and the surrounding neighborhood eventually took the name as well. The school closed in 1976 and was demolished in 1984, leaving a large empty lot in the middle of the neighborhood that soon had people asking why it was named after the 12th president. It was not until 2001 when the city acquired the land from OKC Public Schools and transformed the lot into Zachary Taylor Park. In 2008, the park was renamed for Zach D. Taylor at the request of Mayor Mick Cornett. Zach D. Taylor (1947-2008) was executive director of the Association of Central Oklahoma Governments and worked tirelessly to improve the quality of life in Central Oklahoma through cooperation. He was instrumental in bringing 911 to the area, worked tirelessly for Leadership Oklahoma City and helped launch Central Oklahoma Turning Point, a grassroots health initiative among many other achievements.