Goodholm Park takes its name from Andrew Goodholm who was born in Filipstad, Sweden in 1861. Goodholm immigrated to Kansas in the 1880s and then to Oklahoma City in 1894 when he established the Acme Milling Company, the largest flour mill in the city. For many years, Goodholm’s family home stood at the fairgrounds and operated as a history museum. Goodholm also served on the city council and later formed a real estate company with partner Edwin Sparrow.
In what was considered a bold move at the time because it was so far from downtown, Goodholm & Sparrow developed this section of the Jefferson Park neighborhood between Robinson and Hudson. The developers made use of a natural ravine running through the area to define the layout of streets and lots which created the unusual shape of this park and its sister, Sparrow Park. Originally, Goodholm Park was a “play” park with a baseball diamond, tennis courts and playground equipment and Sparrow Park was a “garden” park covered with flower beds and a large rose garden. The developers donated the land for these two parks to the city in 1909 on the condition that the parks would bear their names.