This park went by the name Ross Park when it was created in 1954 and was named for adjacent Ross Avenue. It served its community well for many decades and even once had a swimming pool, but when an ice storm destroyed nearly every tree in the park in 2013, the Belle Isle and Belle Isle West neighborhood associations came together to bring the park back to life. Working with the Parks Department and local foundations, they brought in new trees and grass and even painted the benches and trashcans. With pride in their achievement at reviving their park, they petitioned the city for a name change to better reflect their neighborhood’s history. Before houses and parks were built in the area, it was once home to Anton Classen’s Belle Isle Dairy Farm and the Belle Isle Park amusement area. So, fittingly, Ross Park was renamed Belle Isle Park in 2015.