James Braden Black was a pharmacist and businessman in northeast Oklahoma City who took an active interest in improving the lives of his fellow citizens, especially the youth of Oklahoma City. As a young father in the 1920s and 1930s, Black helped to organize the local councils of both Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts and was instrumental in establishing the earliest camps for those organizations. In recognition of his contributions, Boys Scouts of America awarded Black the Silver Beaver for outstanding service. Because of his success organizing youth camps and activities, Black was appointed to the Oklahoma City Parks Commission in 1938 and remained at his post until 1958, the last few years serving as chairman. The highlight of his parks career was the addition of the Primate Building at the Oklahoma City Zoo in 1955.
In recognition of his service to youth and to the parks of Oklahoma City, the Oklahoma City Council named this park J. B. Black Park in 1964.