View all City of OKC Animal Welfare news below. You can find older links by using the Archived News link.
OKC Animal Welfare moves to adoptions by appointment only during COVID-19 pandemic, adoption fees still reduced
OKC Animal Welfare is offering adoptions only by appointment to protect public health during the COVID-19 pandemic. Adoption fees will remain cut in half to $30 to help ensure homeless pets are still adopted as the shelter enters its busy season.
“This is a tough decision for us because we know it will limit the number of people who can adopt a homeless pet, but it’s the only option we have to protect visitors and our staff as best we can,” said OKC Animal Welfare Superintendent Jon Gary. “We encourage everyone who is thinking about adopting a pet to still keep us in mind, because this is an important time for the homeless pets in our care.”
To make an appointment, visit okcawadoptions.youcanbook.me. Then you simply pick a time, and confirm your appointment with your name, email address and phone number. If you don’t have Internet access, call (405) 297-3100 to schedule an appointment.
Appointments will be every 15 minutes from noon to 5 p.m..
Other changes to operations through at least April 16:
- Only 10 visitors at a time will be allowed inside the OKC Animal Welfare shelter.
- Drop-off of stray animals is moved to a drive-through area to reduce the number of people who need to enter the shelter.
- Volunteer work inside the shelter is suspended.
- Observation visiting is suspended.
- Adoption and volunteer events are canceled
- Adoption fees are $30.
Updates about all City services and other local guidance and resources are being posted daily at covid19.okc.gov.
The OKC Animal Welfare shelter, 2811 SE 29th Street, is open for adoptions noon to 5 p.m. every day but holidays.
All adoptable animals at OKC Animal Welfare are up-to-date on vaccinations, microchipped, treated for worms and spayed or neutered.
For more information, visit okc.gov/animalwelfare or call (405) 297-3100.
OKC Animal Welfare launched the Alive in the 405 campaign last year to raise awareness about reaching its longtime goal of a 90% live release rate. Click here for more information about Alive in the 405.
- Follow the City of Oklahoma City on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and more.
- Follow Animal Welfare on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.
- Sign up for City of OKC news emails.
- Watch City Channel 20 on Cox Cable or live anywhere on YouTube.
- Download the OKC Connect smartphone app for Apple or Android.
# # #