News List

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Oklahoma City’s rainbow trout season opens Dec. 1

Post Date:11/25/2019 9:44 AM

Cooler temperatures have arrived, and it’s time for local anglers to break out their tackle and fish for rainbow trout.

OKC Parks opens its 19th annual rainbow trout season beginning Sunday, Dec. 1 at Dolese Youth Park Pond, 5105 NW 50th Street. The season runs through Feb. 29.

During trout season, anglers must follow City and state trout fishing regulations:

  • Anglers age 16-62 must have a state fishing license and City fishing permit. City fishing permits cost $5 (daily), $10 (three-day) or $20 (annual).
  • Only one rod and reel per angler. Daily catch limit is six trout per angler.
  • Fishing allowed from the bank only at Dolese Youth Park Pond.
  • Anglers must have fish on an individual stringer or fish basket with their name and state fishing license number attached.
  • Fish may be culled or released after catching, but cannot be released if held for any length of time.

Trout season fishing regulations will be enforced by police officers and Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation (ODWC) game wardens.

About 5,250 rainbow trout will be stocked during the 13-week season. The fish will average ¾-pound in weight, and 90% of them will be nine to 14 inches long. The remaining 10% will be trophy fish approaching 24 inches long, said City Fisheries Biologist Bob Martin.

The first trout stocking will be Dec. 2 because of the Thanksgiving holiday. Fish will be stocked about every two weeks on Dec. 10, Dec. 24, Jan. 14, Jan. 28 and Feb. 11, unless affected by weather.

OKC Parks and ODWC will host a free family trout fishing clinic at 7 p.m. Friday, Feb. 7, at the Putnam City High School Gymnasium, 5300 NW 50th Street. Anglers can learn about the best bait and fishing lures to catch trout, angler ethics, knot tying, casting and other fishing skills. Call (405) 297-1426 to register.

The annual rainbow trout season is part of the “Close to Home” fishing program, a cooperative agreement between OKC Parks and ODWC. This year’s rainbow trout were funded by private sponsors Dolese Brothers Company and the 89er Chapter of Trout Unlimited, with assistance from U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service Sport Fish and Wildlife Restoration Program through the ODWC.

City fishing permit revenue supports the City’s Fisheries Management program, which conducts the annual City trout season.

For more information about the annual trout season or the City’s fisheries program, call the H.B. Parsons Fish Hatchery at (405) 297-1426 or visit

Engage with OKC Parks

# # #

Media Contact
Bob Martin
(405) 297-1426 / (405) 615-5698

Return to full list >>

Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Download Acrobat Reader Flash Player Download Flash Player Windows Media Player Download Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Download Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Download Word Viewer Excel Viewer Download Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer Download PowerPoint Viewer