There are more ways than ever to stay updated on City of OKC news and events.
Check out our news releases below. You can also engage with us on social media, subscribe to our email newsletter and news alerts and download our smartphone apps. You can watch City of OKC news programs and more on Cox Channel 20, which is streamed live on our YouTube channel.
Enter to win a gift certificate in OKC’s H2Outstanding landscape contest
Are you proud of your water-smart landscape? Show it off by entering it in the City’s H2Outstanding Landscape Award contest for a chance to win a chance a gift card from a local plant nursery.
The deadline to enter is June 30, and there’s no fee to apply. Visit SqueezeEveryDrop.com for instructions and to fill out an application. Local landscape and irrigation experts will select first-, second- and third-place winner.
The winner gets a $200 gift card, plus two tickets to the Myriad Botanical Gardens’ 2020 Oklahoma Gardening School. Second place gets a $150 gift card, with a $100 gift card for third
The H2Outstanding contest recognizes homeowners who use outdoor water efficiently by applying the seven Water Smart principles in their landscapes.
- Contest is open to residential customers served by Oklahoma City water, including Warr Acres and The Village.
- The landscape entered must be an established residential front yard and irrigated with Oklahoma City water.
- Entries will be judged on use of the seven Water Smart principles.
- Entry must include at least three photos of the front-yard landscape .
- Photos submitted with entry may be used for future marketing activities.
- Judges will appoint scores for each landscape based upon how well they meet the Water Smart criteria.
- All results are final.
Water Smart landscape principles
- Planning and design: Incorporate water smart practices into the landscape.
- Soil improvement: Increase soil quality with organic matter and perform a soil test before fertilizing.
- Turf planning: Use drought-tolerant turf species and reduce the areas it will cover to only functional and visually appealing areas.
- Plant selection and placement: Incorporate plants adapted to Oklahoma’s weather to decrease water use. Plants with similar watering needs should be grouped to increase water efficiency.
- Mulch cover: Use mulch to help retain soil moisture, prevent erosion, and control weeds.
- Efficient irrigation practices: Avoid overwatering by checking your sprinkler system regularly and using soaker hoses and drip irrigation systems for optimum efficiency. Water deeply and less frequently.
- Landscape maintenance: Mow at a higher height to help retain moisture in your lawn and add mulch to keep water in the soil where plants need it.
# # #
- Follow the City of Oklahoma City on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and more.
- Sign up for City of OKC news emails.
- Watch City Channel 20 on Cox Cable or live anywhere on YouTube.
- Download the OKC Connect smartphone app for Apple or Android.