There are more ways than ever to stay updated on City of OKC news and events.
Check out our news releases below. You can also engage with us on social media, subscribe to our email newsletter and news alerts and download our smartphone apps. You can watch City of OKC news programs and more on Cox Channel 20, which is streamed live on our YouTube channel.
Oklahoma City’s rainbow trout season opens Dec. 1
With cooler temperatures on the way, it’s time for local anglers to break out their tackle and fish for rainbow trout.
- Anglers ages 16-62 must have a state fishing license and a City fishing permit. City fishing permits cost $5 for a daily permit, $10 for a three-day permit and $20 for an annual permit.
- During trout season, only one rod and reel per angler is allowed. The daily catch limit is six trout per angler.
- Fishing is allowed from the bank only at Dolese Youth Park Pond.
- Anglers must have their fish on an individual stringer or fish basket with their name and state fishing license number attached.
- Fish may be culled or released after catching, but cannot be released if held for any length of time.
Trout season fishing regulations will be enforced by police officers and Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation (ODWC) game wardens.
About 3,700 rainbow trout will be stocked during the 13-week season. The fish will average 3/4-pound in weight, and 90 percent of the fish will be nine to 14 inches long. The remaining 10 percent will be trophy fish, approaching 24 inches long, said City Fisheries Biologist Bob Martin.
Rainbow trout will be ready to catch and hungry on opening day. Fish will be stocked about every two weeks on Dec. 11, Dec. 27, Jan. 8, Jan. 22 and Feb. 12, unless affected by bad weather.
The City and ODWC will host a free family trout fishing clinic from 7-8:30 p.m. Friday, Jan. 18 at the Putnam City High School Gymnasium, 5300 NW 50th Street. Anglers can learn about the best bait and fishing lures to catch trout, fish cleaning, knot tying, casting and other fishing skills. Call (405) 297-1426 to register.
The annual rainbow trout season is part of the “Close to Home” fishing program, a cooperative agreement between the Parks and Recreation Department and ODWC. This year’s rainbow trout were funded by private sponsors Dolese Brothers Company and the 89er Chapter of Trout Unlimited with assistance from Sport Fish and Wildlife Restoration Program through the ODWC.
City fishing permit revenue supports the City’s Fisheries Management program, which conducts the annual City trout season.
Engage with OKC Parks
# # #
(405) 297-1426 / (405) 615-5698