There are more ways than ever to stay updated on City of OKC news and events.
Check out our news releases below. You can also engage with us on social media, subscribe to our email newsletter and news alerts and download our smartphone apps. You can watch City of OKC news programs and more on Cox Channel 20, which is streamed live on our YouTube channel.
Tips for an environmentally friendly, healthy lawn
By following a few tips, Oklahoma City residents can keep their lawn lush and green this summer without unintentionally harming the environment.
Grass clippings and overuse of chemical fertilizers can lead to pollution in the City’s lakes and creeks when it’s washed down neighborhood storm drains. That harms plant and animal life in our natural waterways.
“Grass clippings contain nitrogen, phosphorous and potassium. When allowed to drift down the storm drain, they can result in algae blooms due to the excess nutrients,” said City Environmental Protection Manager Raymond Melton.
Helpful tips for proper lawn care
- Landscape with native grasses.
- Irrigate slowly and avoid overwatering, which can carry away fertilizers that would otherwise enrich lawns.
- Apply fertilizers only when necessary and at the recommended amount.
- Don't apply fertilizer before windy or rainy days.
- Apply fertilizer as close as possible to the period of maximum uptake and growth for grass and other plants.
- Avoid applying fertilizer close to waterways.
- Fill fertilizer spreaders on a hard surface so any spills can be easily cleaned up.
- Properly store and dispose of unused fertilizers or empty containers.
# # #
- Follow the City of Oklahoma City on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and more.
- Sign up City of OKC news emails.
- Watch City Channel 20 on Cox Cable or live anywhere on YouTube.
- Download the OKC Connect smartphone app for Apple or Android.