Click here to return to home page
Font Size RegularLargeXL FontXXL Font

May 20 tornado information page

View City of OKC's Resident Outreach Office in a larger map

City adds more debris collection crews in response to May 31 storms

Oklahoma City officials are adding more contracted crews to speed up the collection of branches, fencing and other debris left behind by the May 31 storm. The new crews will begin July 22.

Residents are asked to separate their storm debris into three piles and move it to the curb by Monday, July 22. Each pile will be collected by a separate crew. The three piles are:

1. Storm debris
2. Normal bulky waste
3. Household hazardous waste like fertilizers, pesticides and propane tanks.

More than 7,485 tons of debris from the May 31 storms have been picked up since collection began on June 5.

“We’ve made good progress, but we need to pick up the pace,” Public Works Director Eric Wenger said. “The May 31 storm affected an incredibly large area of south Oklahoma City – about 120 square miles, so we are asking for continued patience as contractors get to every affected street and neighborhood.”

Contractors have been working from west to east in Oklahoma City. A map showing progress will be updated every Tuesday.

Contractors are primarily concentrating their efforts in the following areas:

NW 36th St to SW 134th St and from Mustang Rd to Santa Fe Ave
Eastern to Anderson Road and from SW 44th St to SW 89th St


Right-of-Entry form available for Oklahoma City residents with destroyed homes

Oklahoma City property owners who want City-hired contractors to remove and haul off debris from their homes destroyed by the May 20 tornado must sign a right-of-entry form. The form gives City contractors permission to access the property.  

If the home was being rented, both the property owner and tenant are required to sign the right-of-entry form.

Once FEMA approves removal of private property debris, City contractors can start work.  City contractors will be authorized to clear debris from a 100-foot radius around the home site, including the slab, walkway and driveway. 

Residents must complete the right-of-entry form in person at the City’s Resident Outreach Office located in the Business Development Center at the South Penn Campus of the Moore Norman Technology Center, 13301 South Pennsylvania. The Center is a stand-alone building. The office is open from 9 a.m. – 6 p.m. Monday through Friday. More information

Oklahoma City residents with damage from May 31 storms asked to separate their debris

Residents who have storm debris that resulted from the May 31 storm should call Utilities Customer Service, 297-2833, to report their location. Please place your debris in three piles along the curb.

  • Tree limbs, construction material and destroyed personal property such carpet, drapes, furniture, clothing, TVs and computers.
  • Refrigerators and other items containing Freon will be collected on a separate pass. By law, the refrigerator or freezer door must be removed before setting it out. Food should be removed as well.
  • Household hazardous waste such as propane tanks, batteries, fertilizer, pesticides, pool chemicals, motor oil and gasoline should be in a third pile. This will be collected on a separate pass.

Residents who have debris collection questions as a result of the May 20 tornado damage in south Oklahoma City can call 297-1030 for information.

Oklahoma City opens Outreach Office for homeowners impacted by the tornado

The City of Oklahoma City will open a “Resident Outreach Office” on Monday, June 3 to assist citizens whose homes were affected by the May 20 tornado with the rebuilding process. 

The outreach office is located in the Business Development Center at the South Penn Campus of the Moore Norman Technology Center, 13301 South Penn. The Business Development Center is a stand-alone building on campus.

Office hours are 9 a.m. – 6 p.m., Monday through Friday.  The office will remain open as long as necessary.

City of Oklahoma City staff will provide the following services: 

  • Debris removal information
  • Demolition permitting
  • Building permit and plan review guidance
  • Provide general information about City services

More information

Debris pick up begins June 3 for tornado-stricken area of south Oklahoma City

Oklahoma City contractors will begin collecting trees, limbs and building material that have been moved to curbs in tornado damaged neighborhoods of south Oklahoma City starting Monday, June 3. 

Any debris that homeowners place behind the curb will be collected and disposed of at no cost to the property owner. 

“We know from experience that residents want the tornado debris removed quickly from their property,” Mayor Mick Cornett said. “The City is committed to doing everything we can to remove and help rebuild our south Oklahoma City neighborhoods.”

City contractors will make two sweeps through affected neighborhoods, beginning with the most heavily damaged areas.

Call 297-1030 if your home was destroyed

Oklahoma City homeowners and renters whose homes were severely damaged or destroyed are advised to call the Oklahoma City Storm Debris Line at 297-1030 to get details about debris removal. 

Call For Assistance

Individuals and families who were impacted by the May storms can call the Multiagency Resource Center’s toll free number, 866-477-7276, for support. The American Red Cross of Central Oklahoma will manage these calls from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. seven days a week.

FEMA Disaster Recovery Centers

  • 203 Carney St., Carney, OK 74832
  • First Baptist Church, 301 N.E. 27th St., Moore, OK 73160
  • Heart of Oklahoma Expo Center, 1700 W. Independence St., Shawnee, OK 74804

Mayor Cornett forms task force to study severe weather safety procedures

Oklahoma City Mayor Mick Cornett has formed a task force to review public and school safety procedures and examine any and all options in regard to safety in our community during storms and severe weather. More

Registering for assistance with the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA)

There are three easy ways to register for federal assistance from FEMA. Oklahomans in Cleveland, Lincoln, McClain, Oklahoma and Pottawatomie counties affected by the recent storms and tornadoes are urged to take advantage of three easy ways to register for federal assistance. You may be eligible for aid from the state of Oklahoma, the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA). Homeowners, renters, businesses of all sizes and nonprofit organizations can:

  • Register online at;
  • Register via smart phone at;
  • Register via telephone by calling 1-800-621-3362 or (TTY) 1-800-462-7585. If you use 711-Relay or Video Relay Services call 1-800-621-3362. The toll-free telephone numbers will operate from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. seven days a week until further notice.
  • Find out more information

Mail delivery information from the United States Postal Service

Mail service for ZIP Codes affected by tornado damage (PDF)

Non-profit disaster assistance information

  • United Way of Central Oklahoma and its 61 partner agencies serve all the communities of central Oklahoma. To donate to the May tornado relief fund, visit To volunteer to help, visit www.volunteercentraloklahoma.
  • In addition to providing food, hydration as well as emotional and spiritual care, The Salvation Army is securing warehousing and staging areas as they prepare to ramp up operations to serve all those affected by the tornadoes. Contact for more details.
  • The Red Cross of Central Oklahoma has trucks throughout the neighborhoods and communities impacted by this week’s storms delivering meals, gloves and other tools.
  • For information regarding shelters, meals and other assistance visit the Red Cross

Be aware of scams and price gouging

Investigators with the Oklahoma Attorney General's Office are investigating instances of price gouging and ask that anyone who experiences price gouging to contact the AG's Office immediately on the fraud hotline at (405) 521-2029. The practice is illegal. Also, the first scams typically seen following such tragic situations are charity fraud. Please stay alert and only donate to reputable charities. More information

OKC Chamber helping businesses affected by tornadoes

The Greater Oklahoma City Back to Business Initiative is a joint effort between the City of Moore, the City of Oklahoma City, the Greater Oklahoma City Chamber, the Moore Chamber of Commerce and the South Oklahoma City Chamber of Commerce. Since the May 20 tornado, we have been working to better understand the impact this disaster has had on businesses in our region and how we can respond to their current and future needs. Our goal is to meet the immediate needs of damaged companies by matching donors to impacted businesses. More information

SNAP benefits

Recipients of SNAP (the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program commonly known as "food stamps") whose households were impacted by the storms and have lost their food benefit cards should contact their county Oklahoma Department of Human Services (OKDHS) worker and request a lost food replacement. Persons needing food assistance can apply for SNAP at their local county OKDHS office.


Send comments on our site