The MidTown District encompasses an area between NW 5 and NW 13 and extending from Robinson west to Classen Boulevard.
Downtown Oklahoma City is immediately to its south; the Heritage Hills Historical Preservation District is to its north.
MidTown includes a mix of residential and business neighborhoods. The oldest homes date back to the months immediately following the Land Run in 1889; some new apartments and condominiums have been built over the past twenty years. More than 90 per cent of the residential properties are rented.
About 3500 people live in MidTown. According to year 2000 US Census data, the median ages for the two census tracts overlapping MidTown are 48.7 years and 35.6 years.
St. Anthony Hospital, the state's oldest hospital, was established in 1898 with 12 beds. Today it is the City's largest hospital, and the only major hospital still serving the inner city area.
The area surrounding St. Anthony has been targeted for a concerted improvement campaign, including streetscapes, traffic changes and code enforcement sweeps. Read more about the plans here.
Just to the east of St. Anthony is Plaza Court, built in 1926. Currently vacant and seeking tenants, Plaza Court was once a hub of retail and commercial activity, with a then-ubiquitous Veazey Drug Store occupying the ground floor. WKY, Oklahoma City's first radio station, broadcast from Plaza Court from 1928 through 1934. The triangular building is at the five-way intersection of NW 10, Walker and Classen Drive. Another City landmark, the Kaiser's Ice Cream store, is across the street.
A new addition to MidTown is the City's first 'roundabout' at this same intersection. Traffic roundabouts are common in Europe and are catching on in the United States.
Like the 'traffic circles' that used to route traffic at some City intersections, roundabouts move traffic in a circular route through an intersection. But where traffic circles were especially accident-prone, roundabouts are designed to be far safer.
Roundabouts force vehicles entering the circle to yield to those already navigating it, instead of the other way around as traffic circles did. Roundabouts also include 'safety islands' for bicyclists and pedestrians.
MidTown is also home to an area known as Church Row, where the City's first residents built stately sanctuaries in the early 1900's. Most lost their original congregations to the outward growth of the City, but they also found new purpose either as homes to new denominations, or as headquarters for other, secular purposes.
Oklahoma City's first high school, Central High, was designed by Solomon Andrew Layton, architect of the State Capitol and the Skirvin Hotel, and opened in 1912 at NW 7 and Robinson. The building is now the state headquarters of SBC Communications.