The flag now hangs in an archival protective case on the second floor of City Hall next to the Action Center.
City workers carefully hang the
46-star flag in the second floor
lobby of City Hall in February, 2005.
A protective frame and glass were
added after the flag was attached to
the case's backing.
The flag was purchased by Oklahoma City commercial real estate broker Harrison Levy from flag collector and nationally-known flag expert David Martucci. Levy presented the flag to former Mayor Kirk Humphreys on Memorial Day, 2000.
It was made sometime between 1908, after Oklahoma was admitted to the Union as the 46th state, and before the admission of Arizona and New Mexico in 1912.
When a new state is admitted to the Union, a new star is traditionally added to the flag on the following July 4. Since Oklahoma was admitted to the Union on Nov. 16, 1907, its star was not added to the flag until July 4, 1908.
The flag is 53 1/2 inches tall and 91 1/2 inches wide. The blue field and red and white stripes are made of wool. The stars are cotton.